Sunday, October 18, 2009

Witches' Night Out

Going to Witches' Night Out is an annual event for Grandpa J and I. It's an outdoor event held two weeks before Halloween. It started out to be an evening for the ladies while their husbands were away hunting. Now, it's developed into somewhat of a family affair.

I love to go because of the fall atmosphere and it's just plain 'ol fun to people watch. Hundreds.... no, thousands, of witches come dressed in all sorts of witch attire. No two witches are alike. Some wear their hats, plain or very fancy, others go all out with fancy dresses and crazy makeup. There were scarey witches, baby witches, elegant witches, pretty witches, dog witches and white witches. I think my favorite this year was the witch who obviously was wearing some sort of "blow-up" costume. She reminded me of a humpty-dumpty witch. She was as wide as she was tall.

As the sunsets, more and more witches converge on the grounds until it's so crowded, you can't move and you can't get into the shops. You just stand in one place gawking and oohing at all the amazing costumes.

This year, Grandpa J and I got to take two of our grandchildren, Aryn and Alyza. I concocted a couple of witch outfits for them and brewed up a hat for each. These little girls had as much fun dressing up as I did making the costumes for them. We had a great time making memories!

As promised, here are a few pictures. Grandpa J and I both had "camera" issues, so don't expect perfect or great pictures.


The place is full of caricature witches posed in fun poses. This one had it's arm around me. Aryn couldn't stop talking about the one with the skirt lifted up showing a cat chasing a rat.


We try to get to the place before dark so we can take pictures. There are witches mulling around, but the crowd hasn't arrived yet.




This witch rides a bicycle in the air over a duck pond.


The girls enjoyed looking at this dog with a witch hat and cape on. I tell you, there are all kinds.



Since it was Grandpa J's birthday, we had to get a picture of him in here.


It's starting to get crowded and the sun is setting. Everytime I went to take a picture of a "good" crowd of witches, by the time I got the camera set up, everybody dispursed.


Witches of all sorts and styles show up.


It started to get so crowded, poor Alyza had a hard time keeping her hat on.


We stood in a very long line for soup in bread bowls. Aryn and Alyza enjoyed cotton candy.
I was trying to get a good picture, when all of a sudden...


This witch jumped in between Aryn and Alyza and surprised them!


Again, there were some crazy hats...



But, Aryn and Alyza, I think, were most fascinated with this werewolf and the witch. They couldn't stop talking about them.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys had a blast! I love the outfits. Fun to have an event like "witches night out" Exciting the girls were able to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a lot of fun, BUT are there any man witches? Where is Jerry's outfit? Glad the 2 girls got to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a lot of fun - and not too cold, either! I especially like the sign in the background, "Will cast spells for chocolate". My kind of witch!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. COOL!!!!! You guys are so lucky to have things like that available to you. Glad you had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So.... are you going to post again.... or just let it be.... Is this the equivalent of a facebook poke?? :)

    ReplyDelete