Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Parable of the Houseplants

Those of you who know me, know that I have a LOT of house plants in my house. This morning I looked outside and there were a lot of dark clouds hovering in the sky. I decided today would be a great day to take all of my houseplants outside, give them a "bath" and clean them up a bit.


Over time, some of my plants get long lanky stems with just a few leaves on the ends, some are root bound and need repotting, some need the dead leaves plucked, others need staked and supported and some need a good pruning and cut way back drastically. Sometimes I'm ruthless and, once in a while, a poor plant is hacked so bad, there's not much left of it.

I did all that today, loosened up the soil (in some cases it was rock hard), repotted some, added some fresh clean dirt and fertilizer and hosed them off to get off all the dust that's been collecting on their leaves. I watered them really good.


Most of the time, this treatment sends the plants into quite a shock and they appear wilted. But, after a few hours pass, I know they will snap out of it. I do all of this because I know in the end, they will grow bigger, greener, lusher and they will flourish and become more beautiful.

I have to be careful if the sun comes out. . .the plants will sunburn very easily. So, today when the sun peaked out from the clouds, I moved them into the garage where they were warm enough to dry off before I brought them into the house, but also where they were protected from burning in the sun.

A month or so ago, I woke up one morning to dark clouds hanging over my house. That should have been a warning to me right then, but unbeknownst to me, the Lord was going to take me outside and clean ME up a bit.

I'm not sure what all He is going to do to me, but I am getting my lanky stems pruned back and my dead leaves plucked. I've learned I don't need to buy movies every week or comb DI for a fifty cent bargain or eat out two or three times a week. Perhaps I am rootbound and my soil needs loosening up. I am sure, though, He is wacking me back pretty hard. Grandpa J is not having a lot of luck finding a job.

I know that what He is doing to me is for my own good and that when He's done I will be much better off, a BETTER person and "LUSHER" in my faith. The fertilizer He uses on me is a combination of scriptures and prayer where I can learn to grow in my faith and put my trust in Heavenly Father. Getting hosed off washes the dust from me and reveals my blessings. I have SO very much to be thankful for.

With all that's happened to us, I have gone into "shock." Most days I feel pretty wilted and can barely put one foot in front of the other, so I go to the Temple where I can get out of the "burning sun" and away from the disappointments of the world. The temple brings me warmth and solace and peace. It's the refuge I need and it's where I can get a "stake" to prop me up so I can make it through the day without falling over. Sometimes one time a week will do the trick. Other times, like this past week, I had to go three days in a row.




I just hope my Heavenly Father doesn't have to "repot" me. I really want to stay in this house. But, whatever happens, I know I have to put my trust in Him. He knows best and I will do whatever is required of me because in the end, I know, I will be much better off and I will flourish again one day.

5 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful parabell. It really istrue, sometime it can hurt, but in the end you will end up better off. And even if you do get "repotted" that is what is best, even if it doesn't feel that way. Remember you are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand. I just gave a talk today on "Be of Good Cheer". It seemed like a joke to have to read everything in preparation. I feel like a failure as a mother and fear that I may have lost all of my children from our eternal family. After fasting, and lots of prayers, and preparing this talk, I feel somewhat at peace. I really like the scripture D&C 68:6 "Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you."
    He hears our prayers. Trust in Him. He is standing near us. Let Him carry us for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lord will watch over you but I think you are just like my mother. She worried about everything and if she didn't really have anything to worry about, she made something up. You are worrying about being repotted. You are manufacturing things to worry about. You have a good job, you don't have a lot of credit card debt, and you have food to eat even tho you may have to cook it yourself. Stop worrying so much about something that isn't going to happen and stop being like Grandma Buckley. You will get through all this and be stronger for the experience even tho right now you would just as soon not have the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The funny thing I always find interesting is that is it so difficult and hard to understand the "Whys" of our tribulation. As we experience difficult times we so often question, we worry, and we stress, and when the clouds finally part and the sun shine comes again our eyes are opened. Only then can we look back on the experiences of life and begin to recognize why these things happen. This is when I find myself often falling to my knees in humility and gratitude for all the magnificent blessings in my life.

    Always remember you have four of your very own special "stakes" ready to prop you up, and if that isn't enough there are 10 more (although a bit smaller but nevertheless every bit as strong) standing by too. We love you and keep you often in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jaron is right about the "stakes". We are here for you. We love you and are keeping your situation in our prayers always. For sure the Lord will send you a "letter" just like mine. And it will be just as big a miracle as mine was. I just wish we knew when and how.

    ReplyDelete