Sunday, May 24, 2009

Saturday Work

Grandpa J worked really hard Saturday connecting to the secondary water source. What a job! But, after about four trips (maybe it was five) to Home Depot and sticking his face and arms in a hole with his bum in the air all day til dark, he got it done.

Low and behold it WORKS. . .except there's a leak! But, one more trip to Home Depot tomorrow to get some of the weird tape stuff that he can wind around the filter thingey connector, it will (or should) work without leaking.



While he did all that, I mowed the lawn, pulled buckets and buckets and bags of weeds and I fertilized the lawn too. Today I can't move, but maybe it's worth it when I can look out my window at the beauty of the irises blooming right now.





6 comments:

  1. Definietly worth it! Very pretty and you'll be glad once the secondary water is all working. You should for sure teach Mercedes how to weed so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure what secondary water is. I am wondering if you have to use a filter to get rid of weed seeds. You can sit back and enjoy the yard once you have the weeds out and if you got them by the roots, it will stay weeded for quite a while. Good job and keep after those thistles. You will get rid of them if you are more persistent than they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at all that energy you guys have! I'll hire you to weed my mushrooms...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a lot of WORK! I don't know what a secondary water source is either but I don't think I want one. Your Iris's are BEAUTIFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The secondary water is non-culinary water (i.e. straight out of the ditch water). With all the orchards in Utah Valley being taken they've converted ditches into pressurized pipes that run under ground. They city has bought the water rights and make it available to the citizens for much much cheaper than watering with culinary water.

    BTW - Make sure you have a filter in place! Very important. The secondary water tends to have a lot of silt, gravel, and etc that clogs up your sprinkler heads.

    Hopefully Grandpa J has sunscreen on his crack!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think it's much fun to dig those kinds of trenches. But way to go on getting the secondary water all set up. I love the iris garden you have! I would love for you to share with me sometime!! I've got a few flower beds that are all weeded and just waiting for something to be planted. (We took out our Oregon Grape. It was toooooo pokey!)

    ReplyDelete