Friday, July 3, 2009

Something's Wrong With This Picture!

Now that Grandpa J is officially out of work, take a look at this picture.

I'm bringing home the bacon and Grandpa J is frying it up!


Well, being the traditional sort of person that I am, this is wreaking havoc with my sanity. Things seem to be working backwards. Grandpa J should be bringing home the bacon and I should be the one at home cooking and keeping house!

Last evening we heard a bunch of "Eeewww!!" "Ick!" "Gross!" "Yuck!" "Hee-hee!" "I got one!" "Eeeww!!" comments coming from the front of the house. We opened the front door and there were five visiting grandkids from the neighbor swarming around the flower beds right by our front steps. When we asked what was going on, they replied that their grandma, our neighbor on the west, was PAYING them 10 cents for every snail they could capture.

Well, it certainly has been a BUMPER crop of snails in OUR yard this year I suppose from all of the rain we've been getting nearly every day. In fact, yesterday after work, I looked at my flower beds and snails were everywhere - on the grass, on the flowers, climbing up the side of the house and all over the sidewalks. We've been taken over by SNAILS!


So, when I found out what the little kids were doing, at first I was WAY excited. They were going to get rid of these gross creatures for me! Oh, how I hate squishing them! It gives me the creeps! The kids had baggies full of them.


BUT THEN, the old cogs in my brain started to spin and I shooed them home. "Go collect your own snails out of your own yard!"

I got a terrific idea. Maybe WE can supplement our income! Now that Grandpa J is out of work, he certainly has the TIME to collect the snails out of our yard. And, since the neighbor on the WEST is willing to pay 10 cents each, I bet the neighbor on the EAST would be willing to pay at LEAST 15 cents each! If you have ever been to my house, you know how nice the neighbor's yard is on the east. You see, he hasn't a single weed in his yard, let alone a SNAIL!

But, he could have. . .

4 comments:

  1. You would't dare! Bug Getta does a terrific job of getting rid of them. Or you could put them in a box full of corn meal, leave them to eat and grow 2 or 3 weeks and then sell them to the restaurants for escargo. They would be worth lots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NASTY! Maybe you could fry them up, boil, etc. You could have a new variety to your food storage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay - I thought I was okay to post a comment on here, but then I read the other two comments. Now I think I'm going to go be sick again... Bleh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you could freeze dry them and reconstitute them with water when you go to eat them. I had eaten snails with butter and garlic. Not too bad. Hey when you're hungry you'll eat anything!

    ReplyDelete