Sunday, June 21, 2009

My Dad's the Best!


This is me and my dad. He's the BEST and this is why:



My dad took me to work with him one day when I was little. I remember going to Chico for the day. It was fun to ride with him - just me and him.



I think I deserved several spankings when I was young. I remember having a few "run-ins" with my mom, but I don't ever remember my dad spanking me. If I did something wrong, all he had to do was just look at me in a certain way and I would cry.



My dad used to go and sing in the church choir with me every Sunday so I wouldn't have to go by myself when I had to play the piano.



My dad bought me a lot of things throughout the years. One time he bought me a hanging Tiffany lamp at an auction for $350 just ‘cause I said I liked it! And then, I wondered how I was going to pay for it!



My dad always wears shirts with pockets. He always carried a "golden screwdriver" in his pocket that could fix anything! Plus, he can always find me an aspirin in the glove box to fix my headache, a toothpick in his pocket so I can get something out of my tooth, or a pocket knife in his jeans to get a sliver out of my finger without it hurting.



My dad pulled through a serious stroke several years ago and maintained his crazy sense of humor. He said it wasn't quite the right time to "kick the bucket." Besides, I don't think he could quite reach it. Good thing!


My dad seems to always have "frogs" follow him wherever he goes. Sometimes he makes me laugh and laugh about that, and anyone who knows him knows just exactly what I am talking about. ‘Nuf said about that!



My dad took me on a 450 mile yard sale vacation to Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia at my request. In fact, he's let me tag along on lots of trips to Quartzsite and Mexico. Sometimes he insists I ride up in the front seat to talk to my mother, but I always beat him to the back seat ‘cause I'm faster than he is!



My dad takes me to McDonald's for breakfast whenever I am at his house, or he is at mine. He always buys two (‘cause they're cheaper that way) apple or cherry pies and then INSISTS I eat one. By the way, I learned a long time ago I can't ever tell my dad if I'm on a diet. He'll sabotage the diet every time by buying "Costco-sized" Hot Tamales, Good and Plentys, Snicker candy bars, or sweet rolls and then HOUND me to death until I cave in and eat it ALL!



Yep, it's true. I do have the best dad. Happy Father's Day!

4 comments:

  1. I was just being me. If you needed a paddling you would have gotten it. Thanks for a great tribute. Pa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's sweet. I was going to put one up for dad, but time got away from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way that was said Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - I always thought they were "barking spiders" and not frogs following him everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete